The number of cyberattacks increases every minute. Cybercriminals are always busy trying to find their next victim, wanting to get their identity and earn money from it or wanting to just have fun to bring down the business. You might think that your business is too small for hackers to be interested in, but you’ll be surprised by the truth.
The sad reality is that startup businesses or small businesses are often the targets of hackers. They go around snooping on these enterprises since they know that owners don’t focus on protecting much of their valuables. Instead, they spend most of their time promoting their business.
Startup businesses are busy trying to make it work. They focus their energy on building the business to make it survive and successful while disregarding other aspects of their company. This shouldn’t be the case. Once hackers gain access to a business’s files, their hard work will only end up with nothing.
If you aren’t convinced yet that you need an antivirus or anti-malware protection, or a cybersecurity plan, then here are reasons why you should have to decide right away.
Why Startups Need to Protect Their Data
Cybercriminals could Destroy a Startup
Since startups are just beginning their journey, they are vulnerable as compare to companies who have been there for years. Their vulnerability is an opportunity for hackers to use.
They know that business owners are focusing more of their energy on the growth of the company, and that’s the time hackers will come in.
When they gain access to your files, they can use it as a hostage to get a large amount of payment, they can sell it on the dark web, or they can steal money on your business’s bank account.
Once a business runs out of money, it is doom to fail.
Customers will not Trust You
Most payments done nowadays are electronic. People don’t like carrying cash often since they feel it unsafe walking around with a huge amount of cash. Hence, e-payments or credit cards exist.
The digital world makes everything easy now for customers. From the moment they browse through the pages of that online catalog to paying and receiving their order. Even owners find it easy to manage e-payments as it is convenient for them too. However, as convenient as it may be for both the owner and the customer, it also brings convenience to the hacker too.
If you haven’t protected your site, it would be easy for these criminals to pry into transactions done by your customers. They could steal your customers’ credit card information.
If this happens, customers will be reluctant to return to you, and this could cause failure on your part.
Employees Might not Trust your Company Too
If you lack security for your customers, they’ll not trust you. If you lack security for your employees, expect that they will also not trust you.
Like customers, employees want to also guarantee their safety. They don’t want someone spying on their data. Therefore, it is important to secure your network for your employees to feel safe within your company.
Email Phishing is a Common Source of Attack
Cybercriminals often use this form of attack to get into businesses. They send emails that look legitimate, and without knowing you or your employees might click on it and then share your email and password as you log in to the link provided on the email. This will bring an opportunity for cybercriminals to steal from your company.
Destroy a Company’s Reputation
Once your business has been compromised, it would be difficult to gain the trust of your customers. However, aside from your customers, it is also going to be difficult for a business to convince new customers to support their business.
In this digital world, nothing can be hidden from the public eye, and if people will find out that you have been under an attack, it is more likely that they will not subscribe to your business.
Now you know why you need to secure your business with a cybersecurity plan. It’s time to find the right software that will work best for you. Aside from the right software, there are other ways you can protect your business. When you purchased or have a great cybersecurity plan for your business, you don’t have to worry about your important data. You can now focus on other aspects of your business to make it grow.
What will happen when you are protected:
- You avoid paying unnecessary money to hackers who’ll hold your information as a hostage.
- When your business has a strong antivirus or anti-malware software, it will avoid the installing of spyware into the system. Hence, there would be no worries if someone is spying on your customers or your data.
- As mentioned earlier, email phishing is a common cyberattack. Good software can detect any virus in an email and any attachment to it.
- Online security is part of most software bundles. It will protect your customers when doing online transactions.
- When using a business edition security software, it will be able to protect all devices connected to it. It will guarantee the security of your business no matter how large the network is.
- When businesses install protection for their files and online transaction for their customer they don’t have to worry about the technicalities of the software. Security software has 24/7 support that they provide to their customers.
- It also provides an ad blocker, password manager, and firewall.
- You don’t have to lose your company’s reputation.
- Your safe site will gain you more customers and even retain your old customers.
- When employees accidentally leak your company’s data, having a protection plan will save your business.
Other ways you can protect your business aside from installing a strong and effective software:
- Let your employees know what to do to protect themselves and the company.
- Use a strong password that is difficult to decipher.
- Always use multi-factor authentication.
- Let your employees use another network to connect their devices instead of your company’s network.
- Always keep your devices’ software and apps up to date to avoid ways for hackers to enter the system.
With everything mentioned above, startup companies who follow these steps will be certain that they are protected from cybercriminals. When business owners put in the effort to secure their data, it will bring them peace of mind and more time for their business to grow.
John Ocampos is an Opera Singer by profession and a member of the Philippine Tenors. Ever since Digital Marketing has always been his forte. He is the Founder of SEO-Guru and the Managing Director of Tech Hacker. John is also the Strategic SEO and Influencer Marketing Manager of Softvire Australia – the leading software eCommerce company in Australia and Softvire New Zealand.