The 25- hydroxyvitamin D test is a medical test that is performed with the intention of finding out the levels of vitamin D in an individual. Vitamin D plays a crucial role in our body as it helps us absorb minerals such as calcium. Vitamin D keeps our bones healthy and functioning. As bones are the very support of our entire body it is extremely important for one to do everything to take care of them.
There are many sources through which our body can get vitamin D, but nothing can compare to the absorption of Vitamin D from the sunlight around us. Our body processes the absorbed vitamin in different organs and then converts it into a chemical which is called 25-hydroxyvitamin D or Calcidiol. The vitamin d hydroxy 25 test is an optimum way to measure the levels of vitamin D in an individual’s body.
Why is the test done?
- There could be several reasons why your doctor would recommend you to opt for a vitamin D test. People who are complaining about bone health issues or bone density problems get a clear picture after they receive the reports of the test. Furthermore, people who are suffering from vitamin D deficiencies are told to get the test done at regular intervals to make sure that vitamin D levels are optimal in their bodies.
- Many people across the globe suffer from Vitamin D deficiencies. There could be multiple reasons for this. Some of the reasons are people being obese and eating unhealthy food items, people who don’t have enough exposure to natural sunlight, with age generally vitamin D levels in the body becomes weaker, people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery in recent times also complain about vitamin D deficiencies.
What happens during the test?
When your doctor advises you to go for a vitamin D hydroxy 25 test you would have to go to a diagnostic lab or any other similar medical facility. There a trained medical professional would take blood out of your arm and store it safely; this blood will then be sent to the lab for testing purposes.
You may feel a little pain when the needle is injected into your arm but other than that there are no further complications in the process. You can expect the area where the blood was taken from to be sore and sensitive for a couple of hours, there are no other added risks attached to the complete process.
Results of the test:
The results of a vitamin D hydroxy 25 test are dependent on a variety of factors such as age, sex, and the testing methods which were used by the lab. Moreover, the test results could at times differ slightly from a certain lab to another. The results of the vitamin D test should be discussed with your doctor but the general meaning of the result of the test is as follows:
- Deficiency: deficiency of vitamin D arises in an individual when the level of the vitamin is lower than 30 nmol/L in the body of the individual.
- Excess: an individual is said to have excess amounts of vitamin D when vitamin D levels in their body are higher than 125 nmol/L.
- Normal levels: a person is said to have the desired amounts of vitamin D levels when the levels of the vitamin are between 50 nmol/L and 125 nmol/L.
Reasons behind low vitamin D levels:
- If the results of your vitamin d hydroxy 25 test show that you have a deficiency of vitamin D in your body, there could be multiple reasons for it.
- The diets that you’re consuming aren’t enough. You might be eating unhealthy food items and the need of the hour would be to switch towards a healthier diet.
- There could be a problem with your intestines, and they could be unable to absorb and process the vitamin properly. If this is the case your doctor would ask you to opt for more advanced tests.
- You could also be spending too much time without going under the sun. When an individual doesn’t get enough exposure to natural sunlight, they form vitamin D deficiencies.
Vitamin D hydroxy 25 test is a test that you must fast for, so you are free to eat whatever you want to before the test. What’s important to remember is that individuals shouldn’t consume any chemicals or other substances such as drugs that could alter the results of the test.
It’s recommended for patients to be properly hydrated before they go to the diagnostic center or the medical facility where their blood is supposed to be drawn out. If the patient is dehydrated it becomes very difficult to locate a proper vein and take out blood.
Vitamin D deficiencies are getting a lot more common these days as people have adopted very modern lifestyles where they don’t spend enough time under the sun and with nature. It’s very common for people to be ignorant about their vitamin D deficiencies but then with time face problems and issues related to bone health.
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms of vitamin D deficiencies or other problems, be sure to go for a vitamin D hydroxy 25 test as soon as possible. Once you get the results of the test, discuss them with your doctor at length.